If your grandmother’s house was anything like ours, it was a place of love and warmth. But, just like the nosy neighbor in Everybody Loves Raymond, it was also a place of strange rules and plastic covers over the sofas. And heaven forbid that childhood you, with their sticky fingers and penchant for spills should wander across a sacred line or onto a special couch!
Today, most of us don’t separate our living room from the rest of the house. Instead, they’re centers of our home. It’s a place where our families live. Where husbands and wives watch Netflix together in the evening hours and kids play video games on Saturday mornings.
Because we love our living rooms, we’re launching a new series: Couch Snackers. Each week, we’ll release a recipe or two that’s perfect for those long, lazy afternoons on the couch.
Ideal for snacking, they’ll be easy to prepare and popular with even picky eaters.
We can’t promise that they’ll all be clean, but they’ll be fun!
Image source: Lovefromtheoven.com
Our first recipe is a real classic. Kids love nachos, husbands love nachos. Honestly, it’s hard to find somebody who doesn’t. And the reason why? Because they’re so easy to make perfect for you!
A nacho chip is really just a base. No guac fans in your house? Worry not! Love beans and hot sauce? It’s all up to you.
We’re going to go with a basic, quick-and-easy nacho recipe from Love from the Oven this week. It’s a good place to start, and you can mix and match as your family prefers.
- 1 Standard Size Bag Of Tortilla Chips
- 1 pound block of cheese such as cheddar Monterrey Jack or Colby Jack, shredded
- Optional Topping Such as:
- Seasoned Ground Beef
- Shredded Beef Pork or Chicken
- Black beans or pinto beans
- Tomatoes jalapenos or chilies
- Corn black olives, avocados
- Use as little or as much as you like of toppings this is a personal choice type of thing!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or foil.
- Spread chips over a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle half of the grated cheese over the chips.
- Sprinkle toppings over the chips and cheese.
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until cheese is good and melty.
- Serve warm with sides such as guacamole, sour cream or salsa.
Image source: realhousemoms.com
There’s no question about it, nachos are delicious on their own. But they’re even better when dipped. Just make sure you don’t lose all your toppings for the next dipper!
This layered nacho dip is quick and easy to whip up, and it’s the perfect complement to your homemade nachos when you need a bit more flavor. It comes from Real House Moms.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 8 oz light sour cream
- ½ tbsp taco seasoning
- 15.5 oz jar salsa
- 1 ½-2 cups shredded Mexican 4 cheese
- tortilla chips
- Put the cream cheese in the bowl and mix until smooth
- Add the sour cream and taco seasoning and mix until well combined
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly in the bottom of a glass baking dish
- Top with the salsa, then with the shredded cheese
- Chill until the cheese firms back up a bit, about 30 minutes
- Enjoy with your own homemade nachos!
That’s it! You’re now ready to enjoy the big game this weekend with your friends. Or maybe it’s somebody’s birthday party. Food is a must!
Subscribe to our newsletter to get Couch Snackers recipes, home decor tips, and tricks to make your living room pop. It’s completely free, and you can unsubscribe at any time!